Thursday, December 31, 2009

Broken Embraces


In 2000 I saw my first Pedro Almodovar film 'All About My Mother'. I loved that film and have not missed any of him films since then. My favourite being 'Talk To Her'.

When you watch an Almodovar movie you know you are in the presence of a great film maker. He knows how to tell a story and tell it well. The story is very much about film making and some of the perils that come with it. But it is also a wonderful love story. The story starts off a little confusingly and you really have to be paying attention to understand as it jumps around between two time periods to set up the story. It isn't until the second half of the film that you come to understand what is really going on. This in someways is the only problem I had with the film. The second half of the film dragged a little for me and was not as exciting as the first half. This however is only a minor quibble. Almodovar movies are also very visually stimulating. His use of camera moves is wonderful and the production design looks very vibrant. Almodovar does a really naughty thing and ends the film showing a scene from the film the writer/director Harry Caine is making in this film. It was so wonderful that you want to see the rest of the film.

Penelope Cruz seems to be Almodovar's favourite muse. I still think that Penelope does her best work when she is not in the USA. She is so sexy and gives a brilliant performance in this film. Lluis Homar is excellent as the writer/director of the film within the film. Blanca Portillo though was the best for me as the agent. She has a wonderful scene at the end of the film which is quite moving.

While it is not completely perfect this film is still a great joy to see. Film fans will love all the great references and enjoy the great story. Almodovar continues to amaze me with each film he makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment