Sunday, December 6, 2009

Batman + Batman Returns


One of the more arthouse cinemas here in Sydney occasionally run old films. I always try to go see these as I love to see movies on the big screen as they were intended to be seen. It also means I can concentrate more on what is going on because your attention is more focused on what is going on on the screen. For those who follow my blog will know that my favourite director is Tim Burton. So when the cinema had a double feature screening of his two Batman films I just had to go.

I'll begin by explaining that I do not read comic books. So I do not have any personal notions about Batman and whether these films are accurate or not to their source material. I just judge them as the films they are. I know Tim Burton got a lot of criticism for these films because they were not as close to the true spirit of the comics. But for me, and I know I'm prejudiced, they are excellent action, comic book films. Considering that 'Batman' was only Tim Burton's 3rd feature film, he does an excellent job of handling some spectacular action sequences and working them into the plot. However Tim's films are also know for their unique look. Here he has certainly created a city in urban decay. Most of it was filmed in studios and on back lots but it still looks good. It is a very Gothic looking Gotham. I prefer the look of 'Batman Returns' which is essentially a black and white film made in colour. It is that sort of thing that I love about Tim's work. I think he got to do things his way more on 'Batman Returns' which is why it looks so good. But it also may have turned some audiences off which is why Joel Schumacher went a bit overboard with the colour in 'Batman Forever'. Another great aspect was that these films were made at a time when CGI was not used as much. Even if you can tell when models are used it still looks very good. I did not realise until now that there is very little by way of 'origin story' in 'Batman'. There is the scene where we see how his parents died but nothing about how and why he became Batman. Perhaps Tim felt Batman is one of those characters that needs very little introduction. He is just a rich guy using his wealth to bring justice to the city.

At the time I remember that Michael Keaton was thought of as an odd choice to play Batman/Bruce Wayne. Until then he had mostly played comedic roles and was not thought of as being suitable. To me the real acting in the role comes from Bruce Wayne not Batman. Batman is essentially a man in a suit with a very deep voice so it could be anyone. Especially in action scenes when it will more than likely be a stunt man. As Bruce Wayne Michael does an excellent job. He plays it more lighter than you'd expect but is still able to get the right tone for the serious moments when Bruce is in conflict about his slit personality and the problems that arise from that.

The real joy with with any superhero movie are the villains and who gets to play them. These films have an excellent trio. The Joker is one of those characters that brings out the best in an actor. It gives them free reign to go nuts. Jack Nicholson is brilliant as The Joker in 'Batman'. We know Jack can do crazy characters so it was not really much of a stretch. But with that wonderful make-up, Jack was able to take it to a whole new level. He is having so much fun with the role and has so many great lines. But as we saw with Heath Ledger recently that brilliance can over shadow the main man. I still think that Danny DeVito is unrecognisable as The Penguin. Not only is his make-up well done but he gives a brilliant performance. I think it is one of his best. He brings a great sleazy quality to the role. Michelle Pfeiffer just exudes sex appeal as Catwoman. It is one of the rare cases where having the two villains works. I love the third villain in that film too Christopher Walken. In some ways he is the main villain as he manipulates Catwoman and The Penguin like they are his henchman in his evil scheme.

Putting aside the fact these movies are based on comic books they are excellent action films with great stories and characters. They are a great addition to the superhero genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment