Friday, January 1, 2010

Top 10 Films For 2009.

Well that's another one down. How was it for you? For me movie wise it was not too bad. I had the greatest movie experience when I got to attend the World Premiere of 'Star Trek' at the Opera House. I got to meet (briefly to sign a poster) some of the cast and director of the film. Plus it was an awesome film. I upset a few people with my review of 'Avatar'. I will be seeing it again soon but I'm sorry that plot point was just one of those things that bothered me. I also got upset with the success of 'Paranormal Activity'. Normally I can understand how people can like films but this one just baffled me at to what people found so scary about it.
This is my list and by no means is an indication of greatness. This is just a list of films that, this year, for me were the ones I most enjoyed. I know that you may not like them all but it might give you a better idea of my tastes if anything. If you go back through my blog you can see full reviews for most of the films on this list.

10. Samson & Delilah
This was a great year for Aussie films. While there is still a tendency to be sad and depressing there are a few that are more enlightening. While this film is not one of them it is still an excellent work that makes you proud to be Aussie. Especially with all the awards it is getting overseas.

9. Fantastic Mr. Fox
Many maybe disappointed that 'Up' did not make the list but for me this film was better. I love stop-motion animation and it was so funny. Plus it is my favourite Roal Dahl book.

8. Milk
This one came out in 2008 in most places but I did not get to see it until 2009. Such a brilliant biopic about a truly great man.

7. (500) Days Of Summer
I love romantic comedies and this is by far one of the best I've seen in a long time. It tells the story in an unconventional way and does not end the way you expect. Plus it reflected a personal moment in my life.

6. Balibo
Another excellent Aussie film. I did not know a lot about the story before watching the film and so I was not only entertained but informed as well. The film has also meant that justice will be served for those involved. That is the true power of cinema.

5. Inglourious Basterds
A truly great Quentin Tarantino film. Brilliantly written and full of all those great dialogue scenes he is famous for. As well as having one of the best acting performances of the year.

4. Let The Right One In
This is what a film about a vampire falling in love with a human should be like. It will be interesting to see what the remake will be like. But I encourage you to check this Swedish film out first. Especially if you are a 'Twilight' fan.

3. Slumdog Millionaire
Another film that was out in 2008 but I saw in 2009. Nearly everyone knows how good this film is so I don't need to go on about it.

2. Star Trek
It was one of my hardest decisions as to which film got the top spot this year. This film had the fact that I got to go to the World Premiere but the next one just took my by surprise. Not only a brilliant Star Trek film but a brilliant action film as well. I hope this will renew people's faith in this beloved sci-fi franchise.

1. In The Loop
This film is not released in Aussie cinemas until January 21 but I saw it at the Sydney Film Festival in June so that's why it makes my list. I'm going to a Q & A screening with the director next week so will leave my comments for when I post my review of it then.

That's it folks. What do you think? Leave your valuable comments for me please.

3 comments:

  1. Was Gran Torino 2009 or 2008?? Surely that deserves a place somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brad,
    Unfortunately I have only seen 2 of the 10 films you have in your Top 10 for 2009: Star Trek and Inglourious Basterds.
    And thoroughly enjoyed both.
    Esp Star Trek which surprised me cause I have never been a fan. Or maybe it was the amount of eye candy in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with Samson and Delilah but where is Beautiful Kate??
    that was my favourite easily!

    ReplyDelete