Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls


Many of you may not know of this film. It is a documentary about one of New Zealand's biggest performing acts. Known as a the yodelling, lesbian twins. But this documentary shows them as much more than that.

I had 'heard of' Jools and Linda, mostly mentioned in passing or from ads I'd seen for when they had performed here in Australia. But I don't think I had seen them perform. This is something I regret. These woman are great performers and obviously give a great show. Their songs are not always to my liking as I'm not really into country music, but the girl do many different characters which I found to be hilarious. The documentary says that their shows are kind of improvised and I find that quite amazing. No two of their shows are ever the same. This is very brave of them. The woman have certainly led an interesting and varied life. It is very noble of them to fight for all the causes they have and not just gay rights. There is also a wonderfully heartbreaking moment at the end of the film that gets quite emotional.

Director Leanne Pooley has certainly made an excellent documentary about two women you may not have heard of. They seem to be huge in New Zealand, so I'm very surprised we have not claimed them as our own considering we do that with most successful New Zealanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment