Friday, December 11, 2009

New Moon


Hey! The review is over here. stop looking at the hunky shirtless werewolf and read what I thought of the movie.

To fill you in on my background with the 'Twilight' franchise. Last year a Friend lent me the first book to read before the film came out. I only got half way through it. Once Edward went sparkly in the sunlight I could not read any further. Vampires do not go glittery in the sunlight, they burn or burst into flames. I do not understand why Stephenie Meyer is playing with the rules of being a vampire in this way. To me a greater threat to Bella and Edwards relationship would be if he could not go out in the sun. Toning down a threat like this takes some of the thrill out of the fact he is a vampire. It makes me wonder why she made Edward a vampire if she is going to make him so soft and take away the thrills. Other stories where a vampire falls in love with a human, like 'Buffy'; 'Let The Right One In' and 'True Blood' are a lot more exciting because they stick to the rules regarding vampires. Those relationships are more thrilling and feel like they have a lot more at stake when there is a greater threat.

I will say this film is a lot better than the first one and its not by much. I think werewolves make a more interesting love interest, at least in this film. They have not messed with the werewolf rules as yet. Except he does not change only at the full moon. But a change like this makes things more threatening as he can change at any time not just once a month. They are more like fury Incredible Hulks. Get them mad and they turn into wolves. Plus I'm more of a Jacob fan than I am of Edward. So having Edward hardly in it was good. The story was also made more interesting by the arrival of the vampire council. This has helped add a new threat to Bella and Edwards relationship, which as I mentioned before is a good thing.

When she is not in a 'Twilight movie Kristen Stewart is an excellent actress. Here she does not seem to be trying too hard. I'm not sure if it is just the character of Bella but she comes across as very bland. But then again this just matches the blandness of Edward. I know vampires are meant to be dark and brooding but does he have to be so ordinary. He seems to show very little emotion, even compared to other vampires in the film such as members of his family. On the other hand Taylor Lautner is so much more interesting. I could stare at him all day he is so beautiful. Plus we get to see more of him in this film in more ways than one.

I think this series is very much suited to the fans of the book. They do not seem to be trying to make is interesting for non-fans. But as huge as the film has been this does not matter. While better than the first film it is not by much.

No comments:

Post a Comment