Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Antichrist


I had heard that this film had a very controversial screening at the Cannes Film Festival earlier in the year. When I heard this I deliberately tried to not find out why. I wanted to be shocked without any preconceptions. I also think that this is one of the best posters I've ever seen.

I have only seen two Lars Van Trier films before this: 'Dancer In The Dark' and 'Dogville'. I know he has made several other films but I've not tried to seek them out. Not sure why. But I do think he is an excellent director. His film are always a work of art. He makes 'films' not 'movies'. This film is certainly a work of art. The opening sequence is a perfect example. Each shot is so beautifully created and filmed. Simply amazing. I was marvelling at the beauty of each shot that I could not feel the emotion of what was happening. I'm not sure if this is a failing on Lars's behalf but it might work for me emotionally when I see it again. I can be more concerned with what is going on as opposed to how it looks. The rest of the film is just as beautiful. Which I know some of you will find shocking considering what happens. I found the film visually stunning and think each shot is like a work of art. There is so much symbolism and visual metaphors in the film that I had a great deal of fun looking for them. The story is very confronting and quite shocking but it all fits in with the characters and what they are doing. None of it feels gratuitous or unnecessary. And there certainly are shocking moments. But I must say I was expecting more. With all the controversy I was expecting lots more shocks and lots more disgusting things but there are very few of them.

I find it very funny that Willem Dafoe played a director in 'Mr. Bean's Holiday' that makes arty pretentious film shown at Cannes, which is how some have seen this film. He is however brilliant in this film and gives an amazing performance considering some of the things he must do. But that is nothing compared to what Charlotte Gainsbourg does. She is amazing in this film and a very brave actress for doing all the things she does (especially one thing). She spends most of the film naked and exposed, both physically and emotionally.

This film is a perfect example of why films are a work of art and not just a form of entertainment. If you want to see something different then I encourage you to check this out. I'm quite sure it will initiate many discussions and that is what true are does.

No comments:

Post a Comment