Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Avatar


I'm sorry that this has taken me a few days to write but I was a bit backed up with other blogs I needed to write first. I write them in order of when I see the film. Plus I need to have a bit of a think about what I wanted to write. I should warn you that I may reveal some plot points and spoilers in the film so you should perhaps read this after you have seen it.

I was quite pleased when James Cameron took a bit of time off after 'Titanic' to work on other things rather than jump right in to making another film. As much as I like 'Titanic' the euphoria that erupted for it got a bit annoying and James got a very big head about it all. I had a few mixed feelings about 'Avatar' before I saw it. I was more excited I think for 'Titanic' because no one expected that to be as successful as it was. Plus with all the cost over runs and behind the scenes rumours I think most expected it to be a flop. I don't respond too well to films that get over hyped, which is what 'Avatar' was fast becoming. Much like 'Star Wars Episodes I - III' people had such high hopes that I was very afraid they were not going to be met.

I will begin with the good points of the film. The film is unbelievably, stunningly beautiful. I think it is a visual marvel and a huge step forward in visual effects. All other nominees for Best Visual Effects as next years Oscars should forget about turning up. I'm so glad James spent his time working on the technology to make the film as good as he has. I think Robert Zemekis could learn a thing or two from the motion-capture work James has done here. The animation is superb and so wonderful. The Na'vi characters look so wonderfully rendered. They are much more believable as characters than what Zemekis has done. The sets and backgrounds are also beautiful and James loves to show them off. The film spends a great deal of time exploring Pandora and is all the better for it. The greatest thing though is that you get to see it in 3D. I still believe all films should be screened in 3D. I hope that this means more action films will be made in this format. Until now it has mostly been animation and horror films. Action films could really benefit from the use of this technology. The film is also full of brilliant action sequences. Many brought a lump to my throat. James is certainly the best action director of our time.

Now for the bad part and it is a huge problem. James Cameron is not known for his script writing abilities. He can write and direct the most brilliant action sequences and he does that in this film. However his story work needs some attention. 'Avatar' is a very predictable film. You can see the events and plot points coming a mile away. You know exactly where the film is going and what it is going to do. I did not mind this as the film was such a great adventure that you don't mind all the cliches. What I could not accept or understand is the incredible stupidity of the characters. The humans are on Pandora mining for this very useful source of fuel. They have found this one spot where there is a huge amount of this fuel which is home to this particular tribe of the natives the Na'vi. Their plan is to get these natives to move from this home so they can mine the fuel. It seems the mining company are using the avatar program to sort of infiltrate the tribe and hopefully get them to move. This would have to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Are these people so incredibly stupid to think that these natives are just going to leave their home so the company can come in and rip it apart? What natives in the history of the universe have ever willingly left their home so others can come in and rip it apart? OK so they are only being all nice and diplomatic so they cannot seem ruthless and evil to their stockholders or people back on earth. But are the stockholders and people on earth then stupid enough to believe that the mining companies diplomatic maneuvers will work? The plot is very similar to 'Star Trek: Insurrection', but that film handled the situation a lot better. For those who have not seen it, some evil aliens plan to remove a planet's population because their planet's rings have this 'fountain of youth' quality. They plan to use a ship with a holodeck to remove the people and then relocate them to another planet. They know that these people are not going to go willingly and so plan to remove them with deception. That was a better way to remove the natives. That was believable. James just needed a scene or two in the film letting us know what people on earth thought of what was going on. It would have added extra depth to the plot and made the plans for Pandora have a greater perspective as far as earth is concerned. I don't understand why the humans did not use military force from the beginning when we all know that this was going to be the only way they would get the Na'vi away from their home.

Sam Worthington is certainly an Aussie actor whose star is rising very quickly in Hollywood. He is appearing in quite a lot of movies at the moment. Most of them are big action which is great but I would like to see him do other types of films. He is excellent here and does a great job of playing the marine. I was however very impressed with Zoe Saldana. I thought she was brilliant in the film and gives a truly wonderful performance. You really believe she is a Na'vi native and more so than any of the other actors. I felt her behaviour was wonderful in the way she moved and acted. It was also nice to Sigourney Weaver in a big action film again. While she is not directly involved in the action as such she is still great.

I am probably being stupid for being so picky about the film but I just can't get over this major problem I have with it. The film is still an amazing achievement and is visually stunning. I just have this problem with the plot that I can't get over. I would love to hear from all you about what you think and if I'm being unreasonable. Yes it is just a movie but for me to like the film I have to believe in the motivation and actions of the characters. I still think you should go see the film for the visual splendor and make sure you see it in 3D and on the biggest screen possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment