Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Time Traveller's Wife


Two years ago I found out that they were going to be making a movie from the book 'The Tim Traveller's Wife'. I was interested in the premise so I read it and after only a few pages I fell in love with it. So I was very much looking forward to this films release.

I like to think that I am a very romantic person. While I like typical romantic stories, I usually enjoy unusual ones even more and you can't get much more unusual than this. I find this idea one of the most romantic I have ever heard. A guy who despite his disorder is still able to find a life with the woman he loves. I love the way Henry's time shifting is able to help and hinder his relationship with Clare. All the best romantic stories have a way of keeping the central couple apart for as long as possible or put obstacles in their way to test their relationship and this for me is one of the best ever created. As for the movie, I loved it. I have heard from people that they find it very silly. I don't want to criticise another person's opinion but I think you lack imagination if you think this premise is silly. I know many people like things all nice and normal but sometimes you need to expand your thinking to include things that while impossible in the real world can exist in the imagination. But in saying that maybe the makers of the film did not explain Henry's disorder to well. That I can understand. The book explains the disorder a bit more and even looks for a cure but that is not done in the film. It is perhaps why people have said that you understand the film better if you have read the book. Despite this I still loved it. It is full of so many romantic and wonderfully emotional moments that I was mesmerised the whole time. The only other thing I'd have liked the film to do was have a few more scenes of Henry visiting Clare when she was younger.

I think Eric Bana is one of the best actors that Australia has produced. He has proven time and again how brilliant he is. My only problem is that I wish he would do more comedies like he did when he was in Australia. He is excellent here and gives a wonderful performance. Rachel McAdams has once again taken on a role involving a tragic love story. She likes to make her audience cry. So she is great at playing the emotion of this situation and makes a great Clare.

I think my work as a script writer has made me appreciate this film as much as I have. People who have not read the book get confused and those who have don't find it as good but I know how hard it is to adapt a book into a film so realise what you need to do. I'd love to hear from those who have read the book what they think and those who have not. Please leave me some comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment