Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus


Last year a big deal was made of Heath Ledger's performance in 'The Dark Knight' being his last. But this film was his last film but will be no where as successful as 'The Dark Knight'.

The all time greatest comedy group is Monty Python. I am a huge fan of their work and love following the members as they pursue their individual projects. Terry Gilliam has been one of my favourites because his dark sensibility matches mine. I like things a little darker than normal. The other thing I love about him is his determination. Just about all of his films have had a major problem occur to them. I'm one of the few people who love what is referred to as one one off the biggest flops of all time 'The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen'. So I always look forward to seeing his films. What I also love about Terry's films are that he has a strange way of telling his stories. They don't feel normal and feel a bit off kilter. I just love this as it means your not watching a normal film. The story here is pretty conventional as a man makes a deal with the devil to save the life of his daughter. But as I said it is told in a weird and wonderful way. Terry has always had an amazing imagination and that is shown really well here. The scenes inside the mirror look amazing. I love the way they are integrated into the story and are not just tacked on. The scenes in the modern world are well handled and have good emotional depth. They contrast with the fun of the mirror world. My only problem with the film was that one thing that wasn't explained is how some people disappear inside the mirror world. Obviously they have travelled around a lot and I'd have though that if people disappeared wouldn't the police be after them.

In 'The Dark Knight' Heath Ledger completely inhabited his role as the Joker that you did not see him. Here he is playing a character that looks and feels a bit more like the real Heath which is a good way to go out. He is excellent in conveying the hidden aspects of his character. You find out something new all the time. I loved how Terry was able to work out a way to keep the film and give Heath's role to 3 other actors. Jude, Johnny and Colin are excellent in continuing Heaths work. I also loved Christopher Plumber in this film. He has mostly been playing bad guys lately so its nice to see him do a nice character. I was also pleased to see Vern Troyer doing something where is is not the butt of jokes by Mike Myers. He is excellent in this film. Also wonderful is --- and is an actress you will hopefully see more of.

I encourage everyone to go see what is really the final film of the great Heath Ledger. It is not going to be every one's style but hopefully the presence of Heath will make you want to try something a little different.

1 comment:

  1. Lily cole:P
    she's a really famous model
    u've seen her be4 in St. trinian's movie

    i really love this movie btw:)
    x

    ReplyDelete