Monday, November 2, 2009

Couples Retreat


Best buddies Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau return to dissect the modern marriage with some of their pals on a tropical island.

I can get a bit cynical when actors use their power to convince film studio to give them heaps of money to basically have a working holiday. It certainly makes acting look like an easy job. The film was a pleasant surprise for me as I was expecting it to be terrible but it wasn't bad. I got a few good laughs out of it. I think those with low expectations were what made me like it more. It is a good fun film with some funny lines. There was one by Jason Bateman that had me in hysterics. I also found the relationships of the couples very real as well. Vince and Jon have created some good characters that work well in helping develop believable problems that occur between the couples.

It is pretty common knowledge that Vince Vaughn pretty much plays the same character in all the films he does. I did not mind it so much in this film. He was not as annoying as he normally is. Plus he has so many co-stars to take the heat from him. I like how Jon Favreau is able to fit some acting roles into his hectic schedule as a big time director. Jason Bateman is always a pleasure to see and as mentioned above he has the best line in the movie. Malin Ackerman is the stand out of the women and is quickly establishing herself as a good actress. She seems to be sticking mostly to romantic comedies and is usually the best thing in them.

As long as your expectations are not too high then you should have some fun with this relationship comedy. I'm sure many couple will find lots to relate to in the film.

1 comment: