Friday, November 6, 2009

The Box


Richard Kelly is a director I admire. I'm one of the many fans of his first film 'Donnie Darko' as well as his lesser seen second film 'Southland Tales'. It went straight to DVD here in Australia but I was so pleased to get a chance to see it on the big screen at its only Aussie screening. I admire directors who make films that are a little different. However to call Richard 'a little different' is an understatement.

This is his most 'mainstream' film and even then he is able to work in some of his bizarre traits to make it different and to please his fans. I like how he has taken an unconventional route with the story. Most directors would have explored the moral implications of the story and Richard does that but does not let it dominate the story. Richard is more concerned with giving us a good sci-fi tale. Most people were confused by his last two film and they are both open to a deeper meaning. That is the case here but not as much. Most of the questions are answered but not all of them so he leaves you room to keep guessing. What I liked most was the authentic 70's look of the film. Many films I see don't seem to go to as much effort as it looks like they have here to make this film look as good as it does. There is no mistaking it is set in the 70's.

Cameron Diaz is an actress I respect for the diversity of roles that she does. She can go from the silliness of 'What Happens In Vegas' to the seriousness of 'My Sisters Keeper'. But this is by far her best role in a long time. I think it is because she has a more intriguing story to work with that requires her to stretch her acting ability. After a couple of fun roles I like how James Marsden can do serious stuff like this. He is also great at depicting the inner turmoil of his character and how he is being manipulated by forces bigger than himself. Frank Langella is suitably creepy in a role he has played many times before. The special effects on his face are excellent too.

I cannot recommend this film to everyone as it is a little bit too different. But if you like films that do not spell it all out for you and leave some interpretation then you should see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment