Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dorian Gray


In between making 'St. Trinians' films, director Oliver Parker is returns to adapting Oscar Wilde. If I read about a film being made that is adapted from a book and I like the plot I will try to read the book before I see the film. I especially like doing this when the book is a classic.

I am a fan of Oscar Wilde's work and his clever, witty lines that he has created. I have also enjoyed Oliver Parker's previous adaptations of Wilde's plays. This story however is different as this is more of a drama. Although Parker portrays it more as a Gothic horror film. The film is very well done and Parker revels in portraying the debauchery that Dorian gets into as he descends into madness. The film is quite sexually explicit and not terribly subtle.This sort of stuff makes the first half of the film interesting and fun. However the second half as Dorian becomes conflicted gets very slow and drags. I lost a bit of interest and was getting impatient for the end. Which was actually quite well done.

Ben Barnes came to prominence as Prince Caspian in a film I did not particularly like. He is however very good here. His good looks work well for the character but Ben shows he is more than just a pretty face. The best part of the movie though is Colin Firth playing a very nasty type of guy. He gets all of Wilde's clever lines and delivers them wonderfully. Colin normally plays nice characters so you can see him reveling in playing someone so nasty.

A very good adaptation of the Oscar Wilde book. However it does loose its way in the second half but still has a spectacular ending.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen this film. Is it out and where?

    I liked Prince Caspian, but that's just me!

    Will let you know when i see it, but i doubt i'll fit it in!

    ReplyDelete