Monday, November 9, 2009

Disney's A Christmas Carol


For those who have read my blog before will know that one of my Top 10 all time favourite films is 'Death Becomes Her'. So I'm a big fan of Robert Zemeckis.

I have been a bit disappointed with him lately though and the run of animated films he has done. I prefer directors who are a bit diverse but Robert has just been making motion-capture animated films. I'm not entirely sold on the idea yet. Motion-capture has mostly been used in live action films as a way for actors to work with an animated character. Such as in 'The Lord Of The Rings' trilogy. To me this is the best use of it. I'm not entirely sold on the idea of its use in completely animated films such as the ones Robert has been making. I don't see how it helps make the film any better. One of the problems I have with Roberts directing style right now is that because the films are made for 3D he is more concerned with spectacle rather than emotion. That was my main problem with 'A Christmas Carol'. It looks good and while I normally don't mind seeing spectacular camera moves and 'roller coaster' like shot, it should not be at the expense of the story. It worked well in his previous film 'Beowulf' as that was an action/adventure film. But just seems a little out of place here and looks like Robert showing off. I wish he would go back to doing a live action film.

I think Jim Carey is an excellent actor. I know many do not like some of his comedy roles but I think he is one of the best comedy performers around. His attempts to have a dramatic career have not always been successful but I admire him for trying. Here he is quite good and makes an excellent Scrooge. My only problem was him playing the ghosts. The Ghost Of Christmas Past and Present were good but I don't know why he did Future as all the character is is a shadow. The rest of the cast are very good too with Gary Oldman doing an excellent job.

This film looks spectacular but lacks emotion so comes across as very dry. I prefer 'The Muppet's Christmas Carol' and the brilliant 'Blackadder Christmas Carol'.

No comments:

Post a Comment