Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Boys Are Back


Australia has been producing some awesome films this year. Just when we thought the industry was going down we pull some great ones out. And this continues the greatness.

A father having to struggle to look after his kids after his wife dies is not a terribly new story. So when a film takes this plot on you look for interesting ways it is told. This film may not tell it in an interesting way but it is really enjoyable and full of great performances. I was very pleased to see Scott Hicks return home to his native South Australia to make this film. I think he is one of Australia's best directors and I love when our boys come home to direct films on home soil. Scott is a wonderful director and proves it here. He is able to take this fairly predictable story and makes it compelling viewing. The film is based on a true story but in some cases directors still make the story seem made up. Here Scott makes the story feel real and that it really did happen. The cinematography is also brilliant in showing off this beautiful area of Australia.

As I said while the story is predictable it is the performances that elevate it. This is true of this film. Clive Owen is one of the best actors working today. He is normally in big Hollywood films but I like how he likes to stretch himself with smaller films like this. I think his star status elevates the film a bit and it would have been interesting to see if a lesser known actor was in the role. Clive does not normally play fathers either and he does an excellent job of it. I'd trust him with my kids. George MacKay is excellent as Clive's older son in the film. But the real surprise is Nicholas McAnulty as Clive's younger son int he film. This kid is phenomenal. Probably one of the best performances by a child his age that I've ever seen. His performance is so real and at no point do you think he is acting. There is one moment where his face tells so much without any words that I was totally blown away. Plus he has the funniest line in the film as well.

I'd like to encourage everyone to go see this wonderful new Aussie film. My overseas readers should try to see it too if it comes your way. Proving Australia has some of the greatest film makers in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment