Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

It has taken over 10 years since 'The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring' hit our cinema screens and completely amazed us all. After lots of legal issues and financial woes we get the prequel.
I recently reread 'The Hobbit' in readiness for this new film trilogy. Sadly I did not find it as great as I remembered. I know that the book was written for younger readers but I found the story to lack the detail that 'The Lord Of The Rings' did. For me it read like an edited highlights of a story. I would have liked more details and to have it fleshed out a lot more. There is also the issue of the number of characters. I am generally good at picking up on things but I don't really understand why there is a need for 14 character in the company. I can understand it from a strategic point of view but logistically it does not really work. You have all these extra characters that don't really do much except provide help in a fight and possibly carry more provisions. This made me think how hard it would be for Peter Jackson and his fellow writers to adapt the book. On the one hand I think there was plenty of opportunity to flesh out the story and make it more satisfying but on the other hand he has all these extra characters, which on the surface have no real use, that he needs to give screen time to.
Peter Jackson chose to film 'The Hobbit' in a new format, 48fps. All films are usually filmed and screened at 24 frames per second. A new format has been developed where they can film and screen movies at 48fps. This is supposed to make it a more realistic viewing experience. There has been much debate about this new look and not many good reports. For me I think it is the shock of the new. I did not have a problem with it and actually though the film looked good. I admit that it looks radically different to other films, but for me that's not a bad thing. I thought it looked excellent. Many have commented that it looks like it was filmed with TV cameras and I can see how people can see this. It did not bother me and I found it looked far clearer and more realistic. I thought most of the CGI looked better too but there was one scene where it actually looked horrible. But I am willing to forgive that. In summary, I am a convert to this format.
As for the film itself, I thought it was excellent. Peter Jackson once again proves what a great film maker he is. The problem is that while the film is excellent it does not enter the realm of greatness like 'The Lord Of The Rings' trilogy. Perhaps that is because the two stories are fairly similar. Also too, 'The Lord Of The Rings' felt new and fresh when it was released, we have seen quite a few copies since then so it does not seem as fresh. My only other problem with the film was one I mentioned earlier and that is it has too many characters. 14 is far too many people for a group and a story of this kind. Only a few of them are given much screen time with the others just standing up the back and not contributing much. Please do not think that this means I did not enjoy the film, because I did. While there were a few slow moments it does still move along at a nice pace. Peter sure knows how to film action scenes and they are the most thrilling scenes in the film.
I have long been a fan of Martin Freeman from the many British TV series and films that he has appeared in. My favourite being 'The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy'. He is the perfect choice to play Bilbo Baggins. Martin is able to bring out the fussiness of Bilbo as well as the strength and courage he needs when faced with difficult situations. He is able to do the funny stuff as well as the serious dramatic moments. Ian McKellen is once again superb as Gandolf. Nothing else needs to be said. Richard Armitage is excellent as the leader of the dwarfs Thorin. Richard gives a strong performance and makes a very good action hero. Cate Blanchett is incandescent as always, even in her small role. Andy Serkis makes a very welcome return as Gollum and once again steels the movie with a brilliant performance. I also really enjoyed Barry Humphries as the Great Goblin.
Pretty much all you would expect from the return to Middle Earth. While it lacks the greatness of the original trilogy it is still an excellent cinematic experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment