Thursday, December 27, 2012

Liberal Arts

Jason Segal is not the only cast member from the TV series 'How I Met Your Mother' who does some writing on the side. But Josh Radnor directs as well.
The 'coming home' story is very prolific in cinema. Another TV star, Zach Braff made a similar film 'Garden State'. In most films when someone returns home it is usually because of a death. So it was refreshing with 'Liberal Arts' that it was for a friend's retirement. From the reviews I read I had fairly high expectations for this film. You will no doubt say that I should not believe reviews, but these are from critics that I greatly respect and admire. This film is good but not as great as I was hoping for. The story is interesting from the perspective that many men who date younger women don't agonize over the age difference so much. I was perhaps expecting it to be funnier. It does have some very amusing moments. My favourite being when Jesse finds Zibby reading a vampire book. It does however make Jesse come off as a snob which made me dislike the character and thus turn me off the movie a bit. I did however like the way the relationship resolved itself and the ending.
I know that 'How I Met Your Mother' is a very popular TV series but it was not one I could get into. Josh Radnor looks to not only be a good writer and director but a good actor as well. Elizabeth Olsen is an actress everyone is raving about and this film is a good reason why. She is so delightful here and plays the character of Zibby really well. She has a nice level of maturity which is why Jesse falls for her. Richard Jenkins is another one of those actors that can do no wrong. I don't think it is possible for him to give a bad performance. Likewise for Allison Janney. Her role is a small one but incredibly effective. She can say so much from just one look. I also liked Elizabeth Reaser in her small part as well.
You might enjoy this more than I did. I think I was expecting it to be a lot better than it was. It is still enjoyable though.

No comments:

Post a Comment