Thursday, January 17, 2013

Parental Guidance

Something that films and film makers like to explore is people and their relationship with their parents and parents relationship with their children.
I don't think you should use my opinion as a way of determining if you want to see this film. It is one of those movies where you know pretty much what your going to get. It does not strive to be anything more than just a nice piece of entertainment to amuse families. There is nothing wrong with that and I did get a couple of laughs out of it but I just wish it could have been funnier. All the jokes and observations are very obvious and most we have seen countless times before in other films and TV series. It is pretty stereotypical that parents these days have a 'enlightened' approach to parenting. Older generations were more aggressive and in some cases (but not here) violent. The prevalence of psychology over the years has meant that we now blame our parents for being too tough and why we are troubled. That means that this generation have softened their approach to parenting. That way older generations don't think their kids are being good parents. 'Parental Guidance' does not bring anything new to this battle but does it in a fairly entertaining way with out being to imposing. I'm sure that people can relate to many of the situations and so you will no doubt enjoy it on that level. It is a very sweet film that
Billy Crystal is another one of those actors who seems to have mellowed with age. He used to be more edgy and sophisticated with his humour but now just plays it safe. There is nothing really wrong with that but I prefer the old days. He has some good one liners here but not as great as I'd hope. I need to tell you that I am a big fan of Bette Midler. I grew up watching her films in the 80's and I think she is a brilliant actress. I have also had the honour of seeing her perform live so that just takes my worship to another level. So while this may not be the greatest film she has ever done I still love her in what ever she does. And she does not make many films these days so any time I see her in a film is a big deal. Marisa Tomei does a decent job in her role as the frazzled mother. Bailee Madison is once again very good as the eldest child of the family. 
As mentioned above you know what your getting yourself in for when you go see this film. It does not break new ground but is lighthearted entertainment for the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment