Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Top 10 Films Of 2012

This year I am doing something a little bit different. I had a bit of trouble deciding in which order to put these films. So this is a list of my 10 favourite films for the year in no particular order.
I think the biggest thing in movies for me this year was that writer/director Joss Whedon was finally recognized for being the genius that he is. He not only directed one of the years biggest films but also co-wrote one of the most surprisingly good small budget horror films. My favourtie director, Tim Burton, also gave us the years best animated film which I predict could get him his first Oscar. One of the best writers on television, Seth MacFarlane, made the leap to feature films in spectacular fashion. One epic trilogy ended ('The Dark Knight Rises') while another began ('The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey').
It was the year to celebrate some of my all time favourite directors. Tim Burton made a stunningly beautiful animated film. We learnt more about Woody Allen and how he writes his films. Sam Mendes gave James Bond his biggest film so far.  

So here they are:

The Muppets
As someone who grew up watching Muppets on both 'Sesame Street' and 'The Muppet Show' it was with great joy that I saw this film. It was everything I could want. Funny as well as being clever and not pandering which some kids films can do these days. It also featured some brilliant Oscar winning songs. I'm not ashamed to say it made me very emotional.

This Must Be The Place
Probably the one film that surprised me the most this year with how much I liked it. Sean Penn gives the best acting performance of the year. It has a fairly conventional story but it is told with a strangeness which is why I liked it so much.

Woody Allen: A Documentary
I am a bit of a late comer to the greatness of Woody Allen. It was a couple of years ago that I got to see some of his earlier work on the big screen and I fell in love. This comprehensive documentary is pure joy for fans of this brilliant writer/director. The Blu-ray has an extended cut which just makes it better.

Not Suitable For Children
I always try to include an Aussie film on my end of year list and this year it is this one. A very modern romantic comedy which is not only sweet but funny as well. It is the best thing Ryan Kwanten. Also an excellent debut performance by Sarah Snook.

Moonrise Kingdom
Writer/director Wes Anderson has always been one of my favourites. But I think this is by far his best film. His deadpan style is used to great effect in this sweet story. It could get Bruce Willis an Oscar nomination.

Cabin In The Woods
Joss Whedon is one of my all time favourite writers, so I knew this film was going to be good. I just did not expect it to be so awesome. Last year 'Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil' gave us a new look at a familiar horror story. This year we got 'Cabin In The Wood'. If you plan on seeing it and do not know anything about it, keep it that way. If you really twisted my arm I think this would be my favourite film of the year.

Ted
I am a fan of 'Family Guy' so I had high hopes for Seth MacFarlane's leap from the small screen to the big one. I was not let down. I managed to see this film twice at the cinema, a very rare occurrence, and I laughed hard throughout both times. It is the year's funniest film.

The Dark Knight Rises
It seems that Christopher Nolan is one of those directors that can do no wrong. He has bought the Dark Knight story to its epic conclusion in grand fashion. He has set a prescident for other comic book films from the DC stable. Let's hope they live up to the high bar set.

Frankenweenie
Tim Burton is my all time favourite director and I love his films. He prefers to make films that are based on other material. But the best films he makes are those that come from his original stories or ideas. This is further proof of that. I think it will lead to his first Oscar.

Skyfall
Many feel that James Bond stumbled with his last film. He completely blows that out of the water with this film. It goes to show that this epic franchise can be not only great fun but clever as well.

Well what do you think? Did I get it wrong? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Movie Moose.

No comments:

Post a Comment