Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Jack Reacher

It seems that when ever a book is adapted into  a film there is controversy over it. I don't think I've heard as much trouble over the casting of Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.
I have not read any of the Lee Child books that feature Jack Reacher, so I went into this film with an open mind. I was quite impressed by the film and how much I enjoyed it. The basic plot is not all that spectacular and is not unlike a procedural story you find on TV crime shows. A group of people are killed and so a crack investigator is called in to find out who did it. However Christopher McQuarrie has written and directed a very entertaining version of a common story. He has put in lots of interesting twists and turns. I was also surprised at how funny the film is. It has many light-hearted moments which made it more enjoyable.
If you have read my reviews before you know that I've not always been a fan of Tom Cruise. Lately though he has lightened up and done some funnier films and thus more favourable to me. As I said I have not read the books so did not have any preconceived notions about what Jack should look like. I think Tom was excellent in the film. He can not only play the action scenes very well but is really funny as well. There is an excellent scene where he is hit on by a young lady that I thought was brilliant. Rosamund Pike makes an effective side-kick for Tom. Her character lacks a little cleverness but then again Jack is supposed to be the clever one. Aussie Jai Courtney is an effective bad guy. While is role is nothing spectacular he is still very good (looking). Robert Duvall has a nice but small role. 
It is not a big spectacular action film that you might expect from Tom Cruise but it is still a very enjoyable piece of entertainment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment