Sunday, January 27, 2013

Searching For Sugar Man

I had heard many rave reviews about this film, say that it was not only a brilliant documentary but a brilliant film. I had resisted seeing it because it did not really interest me despite the positive reviews. So bowing to pressure and the fact that it got an Academy Award nomination, I thought I better go see it.
I am very ashamed that it took so long for me to see this film. I had very little knowledge of the film except that it was about a singer. This is possibly the best way to see the film, to know as little as you can. The story of Roriguiez is an amazing one that just keeps getting more and more fascinating as it goes on. The mystery around him and his success is interesting. I admit that his music is not something that I would normally listen to but his songs are quite good. He seems to have a lot of supports but for some reason he has never seen success in the USA. Usually if someone is that good they find some success and while Rodriguez has had it, it was not in his native country. I don't want to say too much about this film as it is better viewed not knowing much about it. While there were  a couple of questions I had this was just a minor quibble.
An emotional and fascinating documentary about the life of a successful musician you probably don't know anything about. Make sure you go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment