Monday, April 19, 2010

She's Out Of My League


It may come as a surprise to many that I was able to relate to this film and hence enjoy it more than expected. I recently dated someone who was 'out of my league'. The relationship did not play out the way the film does but I was able to understand how the lead character, Kirk felt when he dated someone more beautiful than he is.

There are some romantic comedies made these days that seem to go for the gross-out moment when it is not necessary. Some films can balance the sweet moments that are required for a romantic comedy and then blend in gross out things. There is only one gross moment in this film and if they had of avoided it or else done it differently then this film would have been better. Not that it is bad but that one moment just seems out of place. I tend to think that the excessive use of language has meant the makers knew they were going to get an adult rating for the film so included this moment to harden the soft romantic moments and make it more appealing to guys. Despite that I found the film very funny. While Kirk has some really nasty family members he does have some great friends which helps to balance things out.

As mentioned I'm not a fan of Jay Baruchel's voice work but I think he is a very good comedic actor. He gets the chance to play the romantic lead here and does a great job. His natural nerdy qualities suit the character very well. Alic Eve makes a very good love interest, however she is more the straight person in the comedic setting so does not get many funny situations to play. Of the supporting cast I really liked Nate Torrence. I found his character so very sweet and much funnier than most of the other supports.

I enjoyed this more than I thought as I was able to relate to the situation. Despite the unnecessary gross out moments the film is quite sweet and funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment