Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Bounty Hunter


Gerard Butler has certainly been a very busy boy lately. He is really churning out the movies. He like to do either action or romantic comedies. This time he tries both.

The most interesting thing about this film is the number of people and reviews I read, before I saw the film, told me how terrible it was. So my expectations were not very high. Usually when this happens I end up liking the film more than I thought. That is the case here but not by much. While it was not the horrible disaster I was expecting, it is still a pretty bad movie. Andy Tennant is a director who likes to make very lightweight fluffy movies. Here he adds a little bit of edge with some action as well. The problem is that they just don't mix. Sarah Thorp is listed as the only writer on the film but I would say there were a few other people that should be listed as well. For me the romantic comedy elements did not mix well with the action elements. When ever a romantic scene came on it felt like the movie slows down or stops while the leads fall in love (again). Sarah is unable to mix the action and the romance so they flow together. This means it lacks some funny stuff too so is not much of a comedy.

Gerard Butler seems to like romantic comedies where is constantly fighting with a woman before he falls in love with her. Jennifer Aniston I think has potential but seems to be sticking to light weight films lately. Both of them do a very good job with the terrible script they have been given. It helps when they have a great support cast like Christine Baranski and Jeff Garlin.

Not the horrible disaster you may expect but still not the best film ever. A mediocre romantic comedy that squanders a good premise. At least the cast make a good effort at making it decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment