Friday, April 9, 2010

Cop Out


Kevin Smith is one of my all time favourite directors. I'm a huge fan of his films and especially the clever dialogue he comes up with. I have always been interested in finding out whether he could handle directing something he did not write.

I think some Kevin Smith fans will be a bit disappointed with this film as it does not live up to the high standards you normally get from one of his films. The story is nothing terribly special and not as funny as you might expect. Kevin has not written the script so in many ways it feels very different from what he normally does. It lacks the clever wit you expect from him. I was very impressed by the way he can handle directing action scenes. I'm sure it will go a long way to proving he can do a comic book movie. Despite that I still liked the film. It had a few amusing moments and the story had a few cool twists.

While he does not always star in the best films, I still have a great deal of respect for Bruce Willis as an actor. He does the occasional low budget stuff and does a variety of types of roles. Here he seems to be on auto-pilot a bit as he has played a cop role so many times that is just comes so easily to him. I'm a big fan of '30 Rock' so I like Tracey Morgan. Here he is very funny and plays the clown role really well. Sean William Scott is good but his 'repeating everything' gag wore very thin after a while.

As long as you do not think of this as a Kevin Smith film then you should have a lot of fun with it. Not the greatest comedy but still entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment