Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kick-Ass


Young Chloe Grace Moretz seems to be causing a bit of controversy around the world at the moment. Maybe not so much her, but the character she plays in this film.

There are so many comic book movies being released at the moment that despite differences in character and plot, they are all essentially the same. So audiences are craving something a little different. This is why I think 'Kick-Ass' appeals to people so much. The film's creators are pushing the boundaries for what is acceptable as far as violent behavior is concerned. Not so much the behavior itself but who is inflicting it. I am a mature responsible adult and have no problems watching an 11 year-old girl kill lots of men and women brutally. I know that it is not real. Many of you may find that shocking but that's who I am. I tend to like things a bit dark and different to the norm. I agree that some people may have a problem with it but then they don't have to watch it.

As a film I think it is an excellent piece of work. It puts forward an interesting supposition. While we have seen some people do impersonations of Spider-Man and some kids pretend to be Superman, we've not seen anyone dress up as a superhero and fight crime. Then again the film also shows why they shouldn't. The film is very well written and has lots of great action scenes. The characters are interesting and while the situation may stretch credibility you still think it could happen. While I thought 'Layer Cake' was a good film, I did not think much of 'Stardust' so I was really pleased when this film turned out as well as it had. Matthew Vaughn has certainly redeemed himself in my eyes.

I liked Aaron Johnson in 'Nowhere Boy' but I think he is far better in this film. He is great as the nerd turned hero and has one of the best moments at the end of the film. Christopher Mintz-Plasse moves a little bit away from his more nerdier roles in this film which makes a welcome change. Chloe Grace Moretz is a very talented young actress that acts much older than she seems. Despite the fact she is 11 years-old she is still very cool and does a wonderful job in the actions scenes. The big surprise though is Nicolas Cage. He has not done too many great roles lately but is awesome in this film. I loved the way he acted like Adam West's version of Batman when he is Big Daddy.

If you are too easily offended then you should avoid this film. Everyone else should rush out to see this excellent spin on the comic book hero movie. I just hope that it does well enough to come through on the promise of a sequel the film leaves you on.

No comments:

Post a Comment