Saturday, April 17, 2010

Clash Of The Titans

It seems the only way to see Sam Worthington on screen these days is in 3D. He is certainly on a meteoric rise as the new action hero.

There are many reasons that studios use to do remakes. One of which is to improve on the previous version, whether that be in the way it is told or special effects and look. It seems the makers of this film have only chosen to improve the special effects. The story and characters still come off as very silly and one dimensional. There is a concept in story telling known as 'willing suspension of disbelief'. It means that despite all the fictional elements of the story you still think it is believable. I did not feel that with this film. It came across as incredibly silly and very ridiculous. Normally I love fantasy films and can go along with pretty much anything but this film lacked the right amount of credibility. I think it largely comes down to the behaviour of The Gods. To me they did not behave like Gods would. The manipulation and deception are more human behaviors. The plot is also fairly simple. It lends itself to a more epic structure but I think it has been simplified and dumbed down for the modern audience. I will admit that the big battle scene at the end with the Kraken was very spectacular. I was also disappointed with the 3D. There have been many complaints about the poor job done in getting a quickly conversion done on this film. I did not think it would look so bad but it does. At one point I took my glasses off and could not see much of the normal blurriness you get when watching 3D films. You almost watch the whole film with out the glasses. I tend to think Warners knew they had a dud film on their hands and made the conversion to at least try and make most of their money back. It would have been interesting to see how well the film would have done in its original 2D version. But we'll never know.


Unlike 'Avatar' Sam Worthington is not required to do much acting in this film. Most of his work requires him to look buff and fight off various CGI creatures. I hope we get to see him do something soon which requires him to really act. Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes and to a certain extent Mads Mikkelson look like they are only doing this film for the paycheck. A chance to dress up, be silly and get paid heaps of money. Unless there is an earlier draft of the film's script that was much better than how the film turned out.


You may have noticed the poster I put with this review. It is one of my favourites as I love the way they give away the ending of the film in the poster. Genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment