Monday, April 5, 2010

How To Train Your Dragon


The biggest rivalry in Hollywood is between Dreamworks Animation and Pixar. The real test coming in a couple of months when their two biggest franchises go head-to-head. Pixar only release one film a year but Dreamworks usually do two and this is their first for this year.

I've not generally been a huge fan of Dreamworks Animation. While they make entertaining films, they are not as wonderful as Pixar. Some how you know you get a better quality film with Pixar. It seems like they put more care and effort into it. Which is why I was pleasantly surprised with this film. For the first time Dreamworks cared more about the story than the joke. The story is very cliched and predictable and I was not very impressed at the start of the film, but as it went on I came to care about the characters and the story. The spectacular imagery had a lot to do with it though. I saw this film in Imax so got to see it on the HUGE screen and it looks very impressive. The dragon flying scenes were simply amazing and the 3D made them look even more spectacular. This is especially true of the brilliant final battle. I was totally blown away by how great it looked.

Normally Dreamworks like to put popular actors in the lead roles of their films, but this time they have chosen some lesser known stars. The only problem I have with this film is in the casting of Jay Baruchel. Even in the trailer I became concerned about his voice. To me it did not suit his character. It is probably being petty but for me I can see that voice coming out of a character that looks like that. I think he has a pretty distinctive voice that makes you think of the actor making it and not the character he is playing. The rest of the cast however seem to make their voices blend in with their character. Surprisingly enough I was not put off by the clash of the Scottish voices of Gerard and Craig with the American kids voices.

An excellent animated film that must be seen in 3D and on the biggest screen possible. Dreamworks are finally making films worthy of taking on Pixar.

No comments:

Post a Comment