Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hop



It surprises me that for all the Christmas movies we get, there are very few if any films about Easter. Now we get to learn all about the Easter bunny.

Normally films like this do not appeal to me. I've avoided the 'Alvin And The Chipmunk' films so far. But it was the casting of Russell Brand as the voice of EB that made me want to see this film and I'll talk about that later. The story and characters are very much aimed at children and the creators have not done a lot to make it appealing for adults. I'm not saying that the story has to be really complex but it has to be of some interest to adults as they are the ones who generally have to take kids to these films. There is also the fact that the Frank character is a slacker and looking for a job. I'm not sure if this is something that children care about or are interested in. I tend to think that the human character EB meets should have been a child. That to me would have given a lot more conflict to the story and possibly set up some funnier situations.

Russell Brand has such a distinctive voice that you only associate it with him and his personality. My hope with this film was that some of his crazy humour may have come across in the film. But sadly it didn't. I must say that he is quite good but would have liked some more silliness. James Franco is generally a great actor but seems really dull here. It maybe the material he has to work with. The support cast are fairly ordinary too and have done far better work else where.

The only appeal for this film would be for children. Adults taking their kids to see it may have a hard time enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment