Friday, April 29, 2011

Paul

Friends and co-stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have been working together for years now and usually with writer/director Edgar Wright. Now they branch out on their own and break into the US market.

I need to tell you that I'm a big fan of Simon and Nick. 'Shaun Of The Dead' is in my top 10 favourite films of all time. I'm also a fan of 'Hot Fuzz'. So I had really high expectations when I saw this film. While it wasn't as incredibly wonderful as I'd hoped it was still quite funny. I'm not sure if the absence of Edgar made a difference but the film wasn't as hilarious as I'd hoped. Not as many jokes hit the mark for me as they have in previous films. But that's not to say it is not a good film. One of the clever things the boys have done is to play up the religious middle America aspect. The whole idea that the existence of aliens basically negates the existence of God. I found this to be one the most interesting aspects of the film and is explored really well. I also quite liked the sub plot involving the little girl who originally found Paul. It was a very sweet touch.
Simon Pegg is hilarious in every film he is in. I think he is wonderful. Nick Frost is also good although I'm a bigger fan of Simon's. They do have an excellent chemistry together that comes through on screen. Kristen Wiig is an actress who has been playing support for quite q while now and is excellent here. She brings a great deal of sweetness and naivety to her role. Jason Bateman is good but too straight laced to be all that funny. Bill Hader and Joe Lo Tuglio make an excellent comedy double. Seth Rogan is surprisingly good as the voice of Paul. After a while you become lost in the character and come to see him as a proper character and not just a creature with the voice of Seth Rogan.
I had really high expectations for this film so while it was not as hilarious as I had hoped it is still an excellent film. Others might enjoy it more cause they don't have the baggage of expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment