Sunday, May 22, 2011

Arthur


Russell Brand is following the typical career path of most comedy actors. Playing mostly in support roles at first and now he does a remake for his first leading role.
While I have seen the original 'Arthur' I cannot remember too much about it. I know I should have watched it before seeing this version. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. The story is very simple and something you would not think that could happen in this day and age. The film has not been all that successful and some have suggested it is because of the Global Financial Crisis. A film about the woes of a ridiculously rich man does not seem to be something the average cinema audience can relate to. I got this impression from the film as well. We are supposed to feel sympathy for this character who is rich and must give up his wealth to be with the woman he loves, oh the poor thing. As witty and charming as he is I don't think he can convince us as a character that we can feel sympathy for him. The fact that he has his nanny still hanging around does not help either. I was able to get over this because I found it to be quite funny. There are many witty lines which I really enjoyed.
Your enjoyment of this film does depend on your love of Russell Brand. The film has clearly been tailored for his style of comedy. I thought at first that he was behaving like Dudley Moore which I am not sure if it was conscious or not. I thought he was really funny and many clever and witty lines. Part of his excellent comedy skill is having another funny performer to work with and Russell gets that with Greta Gerwig. I loved how she was able to be equally clever and witty like Russell. I am a huge fan of Jennifer Garner and would love to see her in a leading role soon. Here she plays a fairly one dimensional bad person. She deserves better. Helen Mirren is brilliant in everything she does. I think it was sensible to make her character female in this remake as it makes more sense. She brings a nice deal of dignity to the film.
If you can get past the fact that Arthur is a whiney rich guy who is forced to become like the rest of us then you should have fun. You also have to like Russell Brand too.

No comments:

Post a Comment