Friday, May 13, 2011

Your Highness


Comic actor Danny McBride has played many supporting roles to a great deal of acclaim. He has now written himself a leading role.
My favourite period in history is medieval times. I would love to live in this time. As many of you know one of my all time favourite films is 'Monty Python And The Holy Grail'. So a medieval comedy is something I really look forward to. I think Danny and his co-writer Ben Best have got some good ingredients there for a good comedy but they have not been able to put them together. The main problem is the language. Now don't get me wrong I'm not opposed to swearing or crude sexual humour but I think it needs to suit the situation. Here Danny and Ben have used modern language which seems out of place in the context of the film. They have quite cleverly set the film in what seems to be an alternate place to earth (as this world has two moons) but even still it bears a resemblance to our world. For me the use of the 'F' word felt out of place. I maybe wrong but it does not feel like a word they have used in medieval times. I feel Danny and Ben would should have looked at more clever ways of using language to get their point across. I'm not sure if it is because they want it to appeal more to a modern audience or they were just lazy. Other than this the film is fairly good. I think the story is its strongest part.
The other major problem with the film is the casting. While I know Danny wrote the film for himself to star in I think he does not suit the role. Mostly because it needs an English actor to pull it off. They understand the period that is being parodied. James Franco I think understands it a bit better and does a very good job. Natalie Portman I think can do anything so she has no trouble here.
There is a good comedy in here somewhere and it could have been if the writers had of tried a bit harder to work on the language and maybe researched the period better.

No comments:

Post a Comment