Saturday, April 2, 2011

Gone With The Wind


Greater Union Miranda has started a new program called 'Masters Of Hollywood' in which they screen old films. We begin with this classic from 1939.

I'm ashamed to say that this is the first time that I have seen what is widely believed to be the greatest film of all time. I have been meaning to watch it on DVD but lately I felt I should see it on the big screen as intended and so have been waiting for a chance to see it that way. Thankfully now I have. I must say that I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. This is one of those films that has been parodied and referenced so many times that it is great to now know what they have all been referring to. There is also all the oft quoted classic lines that I was waiting to hear in context. I think the film is really of its time. I cannot imagine a film like this being made today except on television. However, in 1939 they did not have television so epic soap operas like this were made for the cinema. As it is though it is a really good story of one woman determined to do what ever she can to get her way. She is very promiscuous in a clean sort of way. She uses men and manipulates them. Men are putty in her hands and will do what ever she wants. Except Rhett Butler. He is the only one who can stand up to her. It is one woman's journey to get the man of her dreams and she will do what ever she can to do it. While the nearly four hour running time can seem intimidating I did not mind it. Because you have an intermission it is more like watching two 2 hour films.

Scarlett O'Hara is an amazing character and Vivien Leigh brings her to life so brilliantly. I think this is one of the greatest acting performances ever. You do not see the actress but you only see the character. The way she can use her looks and charm to manipulate men but also you can see the underlying craftiness. The only person to see through this is Rhett Butler. Clarke Gable is so smooth and cool in this film. He love of Scarlett is not because he finds her charming but because he sees a really forthright woman who can challenge him. As opposed to all the fluffy woman he is used to meeting. Olivia de Havilland is equally brilliant as Scarlett's only real friend and rival Melanie. While she knows what is really going on with Scarlett and her husband she still sticks up for Scarlett. Hattie McDaniel certainly deserved her Oscar for this role. While she is essentially playing a stereotype she is still able to hold her own as a character against the more meatier roles. Being a kind of comic relief helps as well and you can't help but fall in love with her.

I'm so glad that I got to see this film on the big screen as it was intended. It lives up to the hype and is the definition of classic film making that you don't get to see these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment