Friday, April 15, 2011

Scream 4


The old gang is back again. Director Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson revive their great horror franchise for a new generation.

When most film franchises are revived after a long break they don't always turn out too well. Personally I'm always worried when there is a long gap between sequels. Gladly this does not apply to the 'Scream' series. Kevin Williamson has managed to craft a brilliantly clever script that uses the long break nicely to make fun of all the new generation of horror films that have come along. With particular focus on the recent run of remakes that we have been having. You may not want to read further is you want to keep the film a secret but I loved the way Kevin has used so many references in this new film to almost make it seem like this is a remake of the original film. The film opens with a brilliant send up of the 'opening' scenes from their previous films. It is very cleverly done and I found it to be hilarious. The excellent cameos helped too. I was surprised by the reveal of the killer. I usually like to guess and I must say I liked who they got it to be. I've never been all that scared of these films. Generally knife wielding maniacs do not scare me. They are not something I expect to see in my everyday life so I can not relate to the horror of the situation. I appreciate the clever references the films make to horror films and their conventions.

A film like this is kind of a revival for many of the cast. Neve Campbell has not really done anything of great note since 'Scream 3'. Which is a pity as I thought that she was a good actress, even outside the 'Scream' films. Here she is very good and slips back into the role very well. But is not really given all that much to do. On the other hand her friends Courtney and David fair much better. I think because their characters are in a relationship it makes that dynamic something for them to work with. Of the new cast I was quite impressed with Emma Roberts. I think this is the film to prove she is not just a cute niece of Julia. It is also a change of pace for Hayden Panettiere who plays a nicely bitchy character here.

I don't think that this is going to be the film to revive the franchise in the way that they hoped. I'm not sure today's youth can appreciate something as clever as this when they have been raised on dumb send up films like the 'Scary Movie' series. However in saying that it is an excellent film for those who grew up with the first three films. A wonderful way to visit some old friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment