Sunday, April 10, 2011

Just Go With It


After making his film for the guys 'Grown Ups' with all his mates, Adam Sandler now makes a nice romantic comedy for his female fans.

While I have not seen the original play or film on which this movie is based, I get the feeling that it is a very old fashioned idea. I don't know what it is about this concept of someone telling lies in order to attract someone of the opposite sex but you think people would have learnt by now that it never works. Some tell lies that can easily be covered up, but as is the case here, the lie seems to be one that can so easily unravel. Does Danny think that Palmer will not ever go to his work and see that the woman posing as his wife is really his office assistant. It is even mentioned in the film but brushed aside. Despite that lapse in credibility the film is not all that bad. It is typical Adam Sandler type humour and I got a few laughs out of it. The big problem is that it is far too long. Some scenes needed to be tightened and some cut out. The film could have easily lost about 20 minutes.

Adam Sandler to me is very hit and miss. I've quite enjoyed his previous romantic comedies but this is not one of his best. I think the problem is his director Dennis Dugan. With other films he has not worked with such a close buddy like Dennis who I think works well in his silly comedies but not here. Jennifer Aniston is also very hit and miss. It seems that only every second film she makes gets a cinema release here. I think she does a decent job here but it would be nice if she did something more meaty. The film is worth seeing though for the performance of Nicole Kidman. This is proof that she needs to do more crazy comedies. I thought she was brilliant. I was also quite impressed by Bailee Madison who plays Jennifer's daughter in the film.

There is a decent romantic comedy somewhere here. If only the director could be less chummy with his star and had more control over the editing. But worth seeing for Nicole Kidman's hilarious performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment