Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Tourist


Last year the main idea in Hollywood seemed to be making action/romance films. With 'Knight And Day' and 'Killers'. Now comes the third one.

When I saw the trailer for this film I thought it looked exactly like 'Knight And Day'. This was both a blessing and a curse. While the film turned out to not be anything like 'Knight And Day', but in saying that it meant I expected a lot more action. And a lot more thrilling. The film turned out to be very ordinary and lacked thrills. This was really disappointing considering the talent involved. A few years ago Florian Henckel Von Donnersmarck (I love that name) made the brilliant film 'The Lives Of Others' and so we all had high expectations for this film. Sadly it does not live up to them. I'm not sure if he had a lot of studio interference but this film lacks anything special that would make it good. The characters are very typical and the action is not all that thrilling. I also expected the story to be a bit more complex. I did not find the twists all that surprising. Some came as being quite obvious.

It is a good thing that the film has a good look looking cast to look at. Angelina seems to be cruising through this film playing that being cool character she always does. I think I prefer Johnny Depp when he is playing a character and not an ordinary person. It gives him something more to work with which is lacking in this film. I did however like Paul Pettany, even if he was playing a very cliched role.

Does not live up to the expectations you expect from this cast and this director. All the action is in the trailer and there are no great surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment