Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Top 10 Favourite Films Of 2010

I have to say that I was quite impressed with this year in movies. I had a hard time compiling this list. There were many note worthy films that did not quite make it. I had very few films that I really hated this year, which must be a good thing. It was also a good year for Aussie films. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much for one of them being nominated for an Oscar.

And now here they are in reverse order:

10. A Single Man A film that is not only beautifully visually but in story as well. Colin Firth will no doubt win the Oscar for 'The King's Speech' but could have easily won for this film as well.

9. Nine I know this seems an odd choice but for some reason this film spoke to me. I loved the music and songs. I also loved seeing Daniel Day Lewis doing something light-hearted. The concept of an artist struggling to create something and being constantly distracted was something I could relate to.

8. Four Lions I'm a huge fan of black comedies anf you don't get much blacker than this. The idea of making a comedy about suicide bombers shocks many people but it is this type of bravery that makes me love the film so much. It is also really hilarious.

7. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo My only regret with this film is that I did not read the book before hand. I have trouble reading books after seeing the film so won't be able to read it. But otherwise this film totally blew me away. The Hollywood remake certainly has a lot to live up to.

6. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World Edgar Wright once again proves he is a brilliant film maker. Filled with so many clever scenes and lines and little touches that fill you with joy. All this despite not being a game player and still appreciating it.

5. Animal Kingdom Simply one of the greatest Australian films ever made. Beautifully written and directed with two of the best performances of the year. Ben Mendolson is stunningly evil and so is Jacky Weaver. Fingers crossed come Oscar nomination time.

4. The Hurt Locker I still have memories of how I felt when coming out of the cinema after seeing this film. Many people can get a high from taking drugs or alcohol but for me the high comes from seeing filmatic perfection. The fact that it beat 'Avatar' at the Oscars just made it even better.

3. The Social Network I was a fan of Aaron Sorkin before this film but now he has my unconditional love. David Fincher also uses some wonderful directoral flourishes that are brilliant. Then there is the performance of Jesse Eisenberg.

2. Toy Story 3 Pixar can do no wrong. It would have been interesting to see what movie Disney would have made if they did not buy Pixar. Just thinking about some of the scenes in this film make me want to cry. Goodbye Woody and Buzz, we will always love you.

1. Inception It is a good thing that 'The Dark Knight' was so successful, because I tend to think we may not have seen this film. Such a unique concept is very rare in Hollywood these days and deserves all the praise it can get.

Well that is it everyone. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Love your choice in films Brad but i would go as far to name Toy Story 3 the best film of 2010

    ReplyDelete