Sunday, January 9, 2011

Gulliver's Travels


Hollywood has once again taken a classic novel and turned it into a modern film. This time it is the Jonathan Swift classic.

I have this really weird habit of reading books that I have heard are going to be turned into films. Sometimes it gives me a chance to read classics I may not normally read. I know that in this case the film would bear no resemblance to the original book, but I decided to read it anyway. I was pretty disappointed with the book as it came across as very dry and not as exciting as I'd hoped. What surprised me was that it had built in sequels for the makers of this film to exploit if the film became successful. The books basic concept has been used as well as one crude moment from the book. The problem is that they have tried to make a family film but only made it fun for kids. I can see kids loving this film but not adults. The humour is very low brow and the type that kids love. There is not much here for adults to enjoy. It is just an excuse for Jack Black to go stomping around a small country. I also found the editing of the film to be very weird. They seem to cut short scenes and some don't flow together.

Jack Black is one of those actors who is hit and miss with me. I seem to prefer when he playing a character as opposed to someone who is more like him. I did not find him all that funny here as he is just taking advantage of a gullible group of people. The people of Lilliput are made up of some of the best comedic talent that the UK has to offer. But I'm not sure why they signed on. They are not required to be funny but just be straight people to Jack's jokes. Chris O'Dowd gets most of the comedy and is quite good. If nothing else it will help raise his profile. Billy Connolly and Catherine Tate do virtually nothing.

If you have seen the trailer then you know what your in for with this film. Don't expect very sophisticated humour. Only for the really devoted Jack Black fan and small children.

No comments:

Post a Comment