Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Love And Death + Stardust Memories


My final trip to the past with Woody Allen takes me to Russia and to a seemingly deeply personal film where Woody plays someone much like himself.

'Love And Death' is another one of Woody's earlier films that showcases his sillier and more physically humorous side. The plot is a little disjointed and all over the place. While there is a basic plot of a cowardly guy trying to avoid fighting in Russia's fight with Napoleon it plays like he is making it up as he goes along. Despite this it has some really funny moments. There are also many funny send ups of foreign films and styles favoured by famous European directors.

'Stardust Memories' is a lesser work for me. It is not as funny as most of the other Woody Allen films I've seen lately and I just did not find as interesting. This feels like a film that was triggered by a personal experience. It features him being honoured at a movie convention and reminiscing about past women. There is a running joke of him being hounded constantly by various people. While it is good at the start it get a bit boring after a while. Over all I found this to be a fairly boring film and no where near as interesting as his other films.

Woody plays himself in both film very well. In 'Love And Death' he is playing his funnier self which I found more enjoyable. Dianne Keaton looks like she is having a great deal of fun in 'Love And Death' and gets right into the fun of the film.

I have enjoyed my time a great deal watching all these old Woody Allen films. Some I've never seen before. I've placed my order for box sets on Amazon as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment