Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Last Airbender


Until now M. Night Shyamalan has been directing films based on scripts from his own ideas. Now he takes on someone Else's idea.

M. Night Shyamalan was a director that I really admired. He produced three excellent films. Then all of a sudden he went down hill. I read a book called 'The Man Who Heard Voices' about the making of 'Lady In The Water' and realised that his ego had grown too big and so despite making bad choices still thought he was the greatest. I know that you need confidence to be a director but he just comes across as far too arrogant. You also need to know that I have not seen any episodes of 'Avatar: The Lat Airbender' before seeing the film, but I watched it with a friend who was a huge fan of the series. I think seeing it with my friend helped make watching the film a lot better. To say he was upset was an understatement. I felt that this was an epic TV series that has been dumbed down for a mass market. A combination of bad writing and other elements have meant that a powerful adventure series has come across as lame and weak. M. Night needs to have his scripts worked over by someone else before he films them. The dialogue in this film is appalling. It sounds so stupid and cliched. Then there are the actions of the characters. It makes them seem silly and ridiculous. Not the great warriors they are meant to be. It was funny to watch my friend get angry at this ridiculousness.

This would have to be one of the most badly acted films I've seen in a long time. I'm not sure who is to blame here. As mentioned above the script is pretty bad to begin with so obviously these actors are not strong enough to rise above the bad dialogue and poor direction by their director to make their characters seem convincing. From what my friend tells me they can't even pronounce people's names properly. Dev Patel we know can be a brilliant actor and even here he is pretty poor. So maybe the director is to blame.

Don't even bother with this film, especially if you are a fan of the TV series. M. Night a once promising talent is fast turning into one of the worst directors ever and this is further evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment