Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Joan Rivers: A Piece Of Work


We take a year in the life of one of the biggest comedians. She is a very outspoken woman and we spend time in her 75th year on earth.

I have known of Joan Rivers for quite a while. I cannot quite remember where and when I first saw her but I mostly remember her from my favourite Mel Brooks film 'Spaceballs'. The wonderful thing about this film is that you learn more about her. We see some of her early stand-up performances most notably from 'The Tonight Show'. I think she is a very funny woman and it was great to see these old clips. What is interesting about the film is that Joan said she mostly wanted to be an actress but it did not look like she got her dream. She is still doing stand-up gigs and we get to see some of the more obscure places she has to perform in. But she does also say that she will do anything. I'm assuming that is the case but at the right price. Joan has been to Australia a few times and most memorably was her last visit when she made a very honest appearance on the Logie awards to great acclaim. The one thing that you can't really get past with Joan is the plastic surgery. At one point she is given a Comedy Central Roast and quite rightly predicts that most of the jokes will be about her looks. Personally I think she looks a bit strange with her really tight skin. But she is incredibly funny so I can look past that, so to speak. The only problem I had with the film was her relationship with her friend Bill Sammeth. He is known to disappear a lot which upsets Joan quite a bit. However, we don't know where he goes or what he does which was disappointing.

A fascinating look at one of the funniest woman working today. Most will only know her from the appearances on the red carpet of various events and her surgeries but you get to know her better from this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment