Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Disappearance Of Alice Creed


Writer/director J Blakeson makes his directorial debut with this low budget thriller. With almost all of it set in the one place.

I'm a big fan of nice simple movies with a basic premise. That's not to say I don't like the complex stuff. But when you have a simple kidnapping movie with one set and only three actors, there is the challenge to keep your audience interested. J Blakeson certainly does that. He has managed to create a great thriller from pretty simple elements and make it entertaining. The twists are very surprising too. With films like this I always have fun trying to guess what the twists are and I'm proud to say that I did not guess these twists. While the tension was not as great as I hoped it was still effective enough. After watching the film I did come up with a nice sequel idea called 'The Reappearance Of Alice Creed'.

Lately I have been very disappointed with the career of Gemma Arterton. All her roles are the same as she plays a lame love interest in action films. Finally we get to see her in something descent. Considering what she has to go through in this film she is amazing. A real breakout role for her that proves she can be more than just a pretty face. I hope she keeps it up. Her co-stars are equally as good. Martin Compston has not done much work before this but proves he is an excellent young actor. Eddie Marsan has been in the background of many films before but now gets the chance to be out front. He proves an excellent lead and very effective.

An excellent little thriller that nicely uses its simple elements to create an effective thriller. With a nice set of twists to keep you constantly guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment