Friday, October 1, 2010

I'm Still Here


I've mentioned before that film falls into two different categories. Primarily they are an art form but they are also seen as a form of entertainment. This film is definitely a work of art.

As an actor I've always found Joaquin Phoenix to be a bit weird and strange. He has not done anything to my mind that I found incredibly outstanding. That was until now. The biggest disappointment with this film for me was that Casey Affleck revealed it was a hoax a bit too early. I would have liked him to have kept it a secret for longer as it kind of affected the way I viewed the film. Knowing that it was a 'joke' meant that I kept wondering who was in on it. I could not look at a scene as being played because I was constantly looking at everyone to see if they showed signs of 'acting'. But it wasn't too much of a distraction that I could not enjoy the film. Knowing it is a joke also makes the film seem like something that Sasha Baron Cohen would do. But instead of creating a character Joaquin is playing a version of himself. Also being about himself means he would have taken a huge challenge on his career to basically give it up for a year to make this one film. There is then the gamble of whether it will work or not. And if it didn't work he may not get work again. I think it is an amazing achievement. As a film it is excellent piece of art. But entertaining too. I am not a fan of Joaquin's musical choice but I think choosing hip hop music was a good choice as it was a bigger challenge for him. Casey Affleck looks to be following in the foot steps of his brother Ben and producing excellent films. I'd be interested in seeing if he does a 'fictional' film.

Probably the best thing that Joaquin Phoenix has ever done. An excellent mockumentary that is very funny and an interesting look at what happens when a celebrity does something risky.

No comments:

Post a Comment