Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dinner For Schmucks


I wonder if there is some sort of record that French writer/director Francis Verber holds for having the most Hollywood remakes made of his films. He certainly creates many broad comedies that Hollywood likes to steal.

I know that I saw the original film 'The Dinner Game' several years ago but I can't remember much of it. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed the remake. The premise is a pretty dark one and can sound very mean. However I think Jay Roach and his writers David Guion and Michael Handelman must walk a very fine line that does not make them look like they are making fun of unfortunate people. Especially when that is what we are supposed to be laughing at. While Barry is a bit stupid he is likable as well. Tim does try to use that stupidity to further his career, in typical movie fashion he learns to become friends with Barry over time. It is the earlier conflict of this relationship that makes for many of the funnier scenes. Barry means well and tries to do his best to help Tim but is just a bit clueless on the etiquette for situations.

The one disappointing thing about this film is the casting of Steve Carell. Don't get me wrong he is great in the role and very funny but it just seems like very obvious casting. He has played similar roles before, most notably in 'Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy'. Paul Rudd too is also obvious in his role too. Together they do make a very funny duo. Zach Galifianakis is excellent too. What I loved though was the very funny British comedy actors in cameos. David Walliams, Lucy Punch and Chris O'Dowd are hilarious in their roles.

While a little bit long this is still a very funny comedy. Just the sort of thing you expect from these two leads. But it does feature some great members of the support cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment