Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bright Star


Boxing Day, December 26th is a huge day for movies. It is generally the biggest and most popular day of the year for movie going. It is also a big day for new holiday releases. This is one of the more art house releases. I've been working so much lately that I need some time to catch up.

I will say right from the start that I'm not much of a fan of poetry. I respect it as a form of writing and do not hate it, I just don't care much for it. I'm not sure if it is because I kind of feel a little dumb when reading it. That there are so many deeper meanings I do not understand I have to really 'read' it to understand it. That is not to say I did not enjoy this film. On the contrary I really enjoyed it. That is because the film focuses more on John Keat's relationship with Fanny Brawne rather than his poetry. While she obviously did influence his work I think that people who know and appreciate Keat's poems will possibly get more out of it. But don't let that put you off as the rest of us can just watch a wonderful love story. I think I enjoy period love stories more than modern ones. There is just something so romantic about the past as opposed to the present. There is less chance of infidelity which is something I cannot abide. When two people fall in love they do all they can to be together despite obstacles. Being a British film it is all about class and finance. But it is still a joy to watch, even if you have seen many variations on this story before. Jane Campion does another wonderful job of showing us one of histories great romances.

Abbie Cornish is a brilliant Australian actress who has been making a name for herself overseas. I am of coarse ignoring the tabloid name. I appreciate how she takes on more art house films and she is brilliant in this film. Abbie is great as a strong independent woman in a time when women were not meant to be as strong. She lives in a household of mostly women so that helps. Ben Wishaw is an excellent actor who I have enjoyed in all the films he has done. Here he is wonderful as a doomed romantic. Paul Schneider pretty much steals the show as Keat's friend Charles Brown. His thick accent and bombastic attitude makes him stand out. Long time Campion actress Kerry Fox returns in a great performance but to me looks far to young to be Fanny's mother.

An incredibly romantic film for those who are romantic. Poetry lovers may get more out of it because of their love of Keats. But you don't have to love poetry to enjoy the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment