Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Did You Hear About The Morgans?


Marc Lawrence is known for making generic romantic comedies that usually star Sandra Bullock. He now returns with Sandra's 'Two Weeks Notice' co-star Hugh Grant.

You know by now that one of my favourite genres is the romantic comedy. I will admit that I can cut that type of film a lot more slack than other types of films. But I must admit that this one is nowhere near as bad as you have heard or may expect. I'm not saying that it is the greatest film ever made but that it meets your expectations for being a decent and fun romantic comedy. You can see every plot point coming, all characters are pretty cliched but the charisma of the leads helps to make this less painful than you might expect. I don't think Marc Lawrence would have gotten this film made if he didn't have these leads or others that are just as popular.

Hugh Grant has made a career out of being a charming fop in romantic comedies, usually written and/or directed by Richard Curtis. I'm a huge fan of Richard Curtis so prefer those films to his other movies. But Hugh is still very charming. I think Marc Lawrence thinks so as well because he gives Hugh most of the best lines in the film. I will say that his character is a little different this time too and comes across as more real than others he has played. I'm not a huge fan of Sarah Jessica Parker. She is a decent actress but has not done anything that has 'wowed' me. Here she is good and has fun with some of the more slapstick moments. I'm a huge fan of 'The West Wing' so got a big thrill from seeing Elizabeth Moss in this film. Mary Steenburgen and Sam Eliot fill out their fairly stereotypical roles well.

A decent romantic comedy with no real surprises which is what you'd expect. Maybe not worth seeing at the cinema but wait for DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment