Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Lovely Bones


I've been a fan of Peter Jackson, long before he made his famous trilogy. The first of his movies I saw was 'Braindead'. It was hilarious and disgusting and I fell in love. My favourite non-rings film is 'The Frighteners'. I was however disappointed with his last film 'King Kong' and had a few mixed feelings about this film.

I think the mixed feelings helped me enjoy the film even more. I had my expectations low enough that I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I appreciate how Peter was able to hold back on the special effects a little with this film. But he was not able to hold back completely. Now don't get me wrong, I think the scenes with Sally in 'the in-between' are excellent but it kind of made me wonder what it would have been like if that part was done differently and with less special effects. I've not read the book either so maybe that's how it has to be. But with the scenes where she is watching her family and killer I wonder what it would have been like if she was actually there not watching from 'above'. The story is pretty conventional but it is told in an interesting way in how this family deals with a major loss. Despite this convention Peter is enough of a skilled film maker to keep the tension high. Especially the scene where Suzie dies. You don't want her to make the decisions she makes but you know she has to in order for the film to happen. The film is very emotional and you really come to care about the characters.

Saoirse Ronan is an excellent young actress who I respect for not taking the usual teen movie route. Here she gives a great performance as Suzie. She can really play the sweet innocent young girl who makes a bad decision that ends up costing her life. Mark Wahlberg is one of those actors that needs a skilled director to bring out the best in him. Peter does that here and makes Mark an excellent father, a role he does not normally play. Rachel Weisz is once again her brilliant self. I felt Stanley Tucci while an excellent actor was a little bit of an obvious choice for the role here. Susan Sarandon does great as the films comic relief.

A wonderfully emotional story of a family dealing with grief. An interesting way that a person must deal with their death and how they must let go. Not as action packed as other Peter Jackson films but a great way for those who only came to him after the 'Rings' trilogy to see what else he is capable of.

2 comments:

  1. Good review mate. Her name was Susie though, not Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saoirse Ronan is amazing. I'm so jealous of her tallent and love to watch her. She's so curious looking. Beautiful. I can not wait to see this after getting home. More so than avitar.

    ReplyDelete