Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Conjuring

One of the biggest films in the USA this summer was this small horror film about a couple who investigate paranormal activity.
The thing that surprises me about this film was that the lives of Ed and Lorraine Warren have not been made into a movie before. It could have been told in many different ways and I probably would have liked to see the approach where they told the story of Ed and Lorraine's lives. That we get glimpses into the various cases they investigated but essentially the film would be about how this couple came to be investigators and what a toll these took on their lives. We do get some of this in 'The Conjuring' but for me I would have preferred a different approach. As the film is with this story of Perron family and them being attacked by a paranormal force, I did not like that aspect. I think the film is very well made and director James Wan does a brilliant job, but I did not find the film scary. Maybe it is because I do not find ghost stories all that scary. I'm not sure if it because I don't really believe in them and so I don't find them scary. I've not seem or had a supernatural experience so do not have any fear of them. Now while I have not been attacked by an axe wielding maniac I think they feel more real than ghosts and so I am more scared of them.
Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are both excellent as Ed and Lorraine. That is part of the reason why I would have preferred a movie that focused on them rather than a story they are investigating. Lili Taylor and Ron Livingston are also excellent in their roles. They both feel like real people. Shanley Caswell, Hayley McFarland, Joey King, Mackenzie Foy and Kyla Deaver are also good as the children who are subjected to most of the paranormal activity.
While this is a very well made film it did not make me scared as it should have being a horror film. I'd have preferred a film that focused more on Ed and Lorraine and their story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment