Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Best Offer

Director Giuseppe Tornatore came to prominence for making 'Cinema Paradiso'. While he has not had the same success he still makes quality films.
Ever since watching this film I have had trouble trying to work out how to describe my reaction to it. The film is well made and it has an intriguing story which keeps you interested in where it is going but it just felt a little 'off'. I don't like to use the words 'strange' or 'weird' as that does not quite accurately describe it but the tone just felt different. I normally pride myself on liking films that are a bit different to the norm but this film felt a little bit unusual even for me. The story though is a very good one and as I said kept me interested in where it was going. Giuseppe also added a few nice subplots that add nicely textured elements to not only the plot but its conclusion as well.
I'm not sure if part of my being uncomfortable with this film was the casting of Geoffrey Rush. Up until now he has not really played roles that require him to have a romantic element, so I have not considered him in that way. I'm not saying he does not deserve to find love but it just may take me time to thing of Geoffrey as a sexual being. Other than that he is very good in his role. He plays the sophisticated and refined elements rather well. I have not been a fan of Jim Sturgess in the past but this would have to be his best performance yet. He plays the role very understated which suits the character and means he comes across as less annoying than he usually is. Sylvia Hoeks does is very good as the object of Geoffrey's desire. Donald Sutherland adds some dignity to the film as well.
It's well made and has a well paced story but the tone of the film is a little bit strange and unusual.

No comments:

Post a Comment