Saturday, September 14, 2013

Red Obsession

I am not much of an alcohol drinker let alone a wine drinker. But if given a choice I prefer wine over beer. Despite this lack of interest in partaking of wine, I thought I would check out this documentary.
On one level this is a fascinating look at how people can become obsessed over things that will not use. As a film buff I collect movie memorabilia and some of it I keep stored away, like posters. So in some ways I can understand why a person would buy an item and then not use it. It may seem strange that people can spend thousands of dollars in a bottle of wine and then not drink it. But then again when you have spent so much on something it would seem to special to drink.
I did learn quite a bit about wine and wine that comes from the Bordeaux region of France. I was not aware of how highly regarded wine from this area was regarded. And that is the thrust of this film. How wine from one area of the world can become so influential. The amazing thing is that a great wine from Bordeaux is very rare. While I am familiar with many of the types of wine that come from this region I did not know they were held in such high regard.
The current Chinese obsession with French wine is very indicative of China's growing influence around the world. It seems they are becoming more open to outside influences and becoming obsessed with them in the process. My only problem with the film is that I did not find it as thrilling as I had hoped. There were some interesting elements and I did leanr some things but I think I was hoping for more.
Wine lovers will probably get a lot out of this film and enjoy seeing another group of people who share their obsession. Non wine lovers will get some interest in seeing how the world of wine works and its influence in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment