Wednesday, August 28, 2013

We're The Millers

Drug smugglers are always trying to come up with ways to get their product across boarders. This is one of the more interesting ones.
There are times when reviews of films can be quite scathing. This is one such occasion. I don't think I read or heard any good reviews for this film. Normally bad reviews are supposed to be a guide for what not to see, but, depending on the film, this can be more of an encouragement to me. I have to go see the film to see if it is as bad as what everyone says it is. Sometimes my expectations are so low, because of these reviews that I become pleasantly surprised by how much I end up enjoying it. While this film is not the greatest comedy ever made, neither is it the unmitigated disaster that most critics would have you believe. The concept is a nice one for a broad comedy and lends itself nicely to some great juxtaposition humour. The film has lots of it and some works but some does not. The biggest problem I had though was the film's length. There is a whole section when Will Poulter's character Kenny goes to hospital. I know it was meant to be a plot point to give the heroes another obstacle in their journey but it felt unnecessary.
Jason Sudekis is an excellent comedic actor. He is another one of those actors who doe not usually play a 'character' but he has enough witty one-liners to keep you entertained. Jennifer Aniston seems to be taking her career in a good direction by playing less clean-cut characters. I like how she is embracing her inner dirty girl. Here she does a decent job but being Jennifer Aniston she would not go all the way when playing a stripper which would have been better. Emma Roberts is also getting dirty herself and is quite good at it. I remember Will Poulter from the brilliant film 'Son Of Rambow' and he has certainly grown up a lot since then. He is excellent in this film as the group's punching bag. Ed Helms, Nick Offerman and Kathryn Hahn are very good in their supporting roles.
This was not the horrendous disaster that I was expecting. I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I expected and got a few decent laughs out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment