Friday, August 9, 2013

In The House

French director Francois Ozon is once of those eclectic directors who makes a different film each time he directs.
As you know I am a writer and so films about writers always interest me the most. Films about script writers are my favourite but other forms of writing are great as well. What also got me fascinated with 'In The House' was that it involves a teacher which is another area I have experience in. It is not just these elements which made me love this film so much. It is one of the most well written films I've seen in some time. Not just for the story but also for the many themes and issues that it explores. There is just so much going on in the film that it would require several viewings to take it all in. Francois is such a skilled director that he tells the story in a flawless manner. You never quite know where it is going and there are several great twists. One of which I won't mention here so as not to spoil it but suffice to say it will make you see the film in a completely different way. The way it explores writing and writers is simply amazing.
The cast are as equally as brilliant. Fabrice Luchini is an actor I'm seeing quite a lot of now in films and he is always excellent. While his character is a bit stereotypical, Fabrice is able to make him seem fresh and interesting. As his wife Kristin Scott Thomas is delightful and the two of them are such a great duo. Emmanuelle Seigner is quite good as the mother in the house under surveillance. The highlight of the film performance wise is Ernst Umhauer. He is such a brilliant young actor. The subtle way he plays Claude is amazing as you never know what is true intentions are so you are constantly wondering whether he has sinister motives or not.
By far and away the best film I have seen this year. I understand many of you get turned off by subtitles but for those who like some intelligent and though-provoking cinema then make sure you check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment